Introducing . . . The Red Kimono

I begin this blog with a post about my big and exciting news. I am very proud and happy to announce that my book will be published by the University of Arkansas Press in the spring of 2013. (See note below.)

Many of you have known my book by the title, Broken Dolls. From the beginning, my writing mentors warned me not to get too attached to my title, saying that publishers often change them. Of course, I thought to myself, “But what other title could there possibly be for my manuscript other than Broken Dolls?”

So, when Mr. Lawrence Malley, director of the University of Arkansas Press, suggested changing the title to The Red Kimono, I thought, “Huh?” But I nodded politely and said, “That sounds interesting.”

(Don’t you love that word “interesting?”)

When he told me he liked the symbolism of the red kimono in the story, I thought, “He got it. He really got it.”

Then, the pièce de résistance: He began to describe possible book jackets, and as if by magic, I was persuaded.

The day I signed the contract, Stephen surprised me with this cake. If positive thinking is as powerful as they say it is, it’s going to be quite a year!

Note: Okay, as I re-read this post, my inner scream had to burst out, so I’m editing it in here:

AAAGGGHHH! I’m going to be published!!!

This entry was posted in The Red Kimono, University of Arkansas Press and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Introducing . . . The Red Kimono

1. Jim Davis says:

Congratulations, Jan. l love your story and can’t wait to purchase a signed copy of what is sure to become a best-selling book.

2. janmorrill says:

Reblogged this on Jan Morrill Writes and commented:

Big news!! I hope you’ll follow my new blog, The Red Kimono, at http://www.theredkimono.com!

3. Congratulations, Jan! As an dabbling writer, I understand your excitement! Or at least I can imagine it! It will be fun to keep an eye on you as you progress to the Best Seller list! I definitely want to read your book! SO happy for you!!

4. Hot damn! I absolutely can not wait to see your manuscript in book form and by the University of Arkansas press. That’s so exciting. I’m beside myself with giddiness. Way to go, my friend!

5. Reblogged this on Claire Croxton Romance Author and commented:
    Janice Morrill’s debut novel will be out spring of 2013!

6. Linda Apple says:

Reblogged this on lindacapple and commented:
    This is a GREAT book. I can hardly wait until it is on the shelves. When it is, RUN don’t walk to the stores and buy it!!

7. Madison Woods says:

I’m so excited for you Jan! I can’t wait to see it and SO glad to be able to say “I knew her when…” 🙂

8. For two years I heard bits and pieces of Red Kimono in Northwest Arkansas Writer’s Workshop. Five pages a night, one night a week. The response to the readings was always the same–don’t stop reading now, we want more! This is one of those books that comes along and just blows your socks off. Can’t wait to read it from first to last word.

9. erinleary says:

Congratulations! I love the title and the cover proposal. You are on your way!

10. Congrats, Jan! Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

11. MinivanMomma says:

Congrats, Jan! I can’t wait to get my hands on it. 🙂

12. Emmy says:

Love the cake!

13. rochellewisoff says:

Congratulations, Jan. I’m excited for you and can’t wait to read it.

14. Hey, nice cake! Great news, Jan, I’ll be in line to buy the book.

15. Staci Troilo says:

I’m so happy for you, Jan. You’ve woven such a compelling story; readers deserve a chance to wrap themselves up in it. Congratulations.

• janmorrill says:

Thank you, Staci. I think it’s important to remember our history, and that’s my hope — that I’ve woven a story that a reader will remember.

16. tedstrutz says:

Looks like I’m going to have to back and see what this ‘Broken Dolls’ thing is all about…

• janmorrill says:

It’s kind of confusing, Ted, but Broken Dolls has been re-titled by University of Arkansas Press as The Red Kimono. So don’t look for Broken Dolls. 🙂

17. Jan, so proud of you. You worked hard for this honor. I’m off to share your link!

18. Staci Troilo says:

Reblogged this on Staci Troilo and commented:
    Congratulations to Jan Morrill! Published author!

19. Steven Sasaki says:

Congratulations Jan we are looking forward to your book! Please let us know when we can pre-order.

• janmorrill says:

Thank you, cousin. 🙂 I think I’m most nervous about our family reading the story. I hope you’ll like it. I’ll check on pre-ordering — hadn’t thought of that!

20. LeAynne says:

Your book is fabulous! And I like the new title a lot. I easily see your book all the way to the top. So happy for you.

• janmorrill says:

Thank you, LeAynne. I like the new title, too. I was probably too attached to “Broken Dolls” as a title, but once I thought about the symbolism of the red kimono, it really grew on me.

21. Pingback: Monday Morning Mashup: 06/11/12 | Jan Morrill Writes

22. Beth Carter says:

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU. Huge congrats on your publishing deal. I love the new title and can’t wait to get in line when you’re selling The Red Kimono next summer. Kudos to Stephen for that cute cake. What a guy.

23. So happy that your first of many books is going to be published! Love the title! Can’t wait to read it!

24. Maxine says:

Congratulations! I’ve been watching for the publication of “Broken Dolls.” Can’t wait to read it.