One Step Closer

I hope you’ll bear with this first-time novelist’s excitement over the little joys along the way on my path to publication, because here I go:

Look what came in the mail! The galleys for The Red Kimono! For my non-writer friends, here’s the definition of a galley:

galley proof: noun

A proof, originally one set from type in a galley, taken before the material has been made up into pages and usually printed as a single column of type with wide margins for marking corrections.

So, this is not the “real” book . . . yet. But, I’m one step closer. And it was quite a thrill to see it, to flip through the pages and to read it in book format, rather than on a computer or printed out on paper.

Is this “old hat” for you who are mulitple-times published? Or, is it still a thrill to see your book in hard copy form?

Watch for the “real” book, including the highly-anticipated cover image. Coming  in January by the University of Arkansas Press!

This entry was posted in The Red Kimono and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to One Step Closer

1. Dianna Graveman says:

Congratulations! I can’t believe I just “found” your blog, but I’ll look forward to reading more updates about your book’s release.

2. Linda Apple says:

Oh my goodness, yes! Keep on Snoopy dancing! You are being published by the Arkansas University Press!!!!! That is no small thing. It is GREAT! And so is your book. What you have accomplished is huge. So, so, proud of you. You stuck with it and look where you got. Amazing, wonderful, and I can say I knew you when. 🙂

3. Congratulations! I cannot imagine that it will ever become ‘old hat’ to hold a galley of your work, even if it’s your 100th title. I’m so excited for you 🙂

4. dmmacilroy says:

Revel in your time, Jan. Congratulations.

Aloha,

Doug

5. Anonymous says:

Jan, I am so happy and excited for you! Can’t wait to have my very own copy! Love you, Sally

6. Staci Troilo says:

That’s so exciting! Keep us posted, Jan. We’ll be holding the hard copy in no time.

7. It never gets old, but enjoy this first time because it’s the most exciting. Congratulations. It’s wonderful book and I knew all along it would be published. In this case I told you so is warranted.

8. Oscar Case says:

Congrats! The first time is always the best, next to the second and third, etc.

9. I’ll bet it’s like a wedding dress – you may wear many but the first one will always be most special. It even looks pretty pure and virginal. 😉 Congrats, dear author!

10. nancyhartney says:

Dance your happy dance. Sing at the top of your voice. Congratulations on your first book. Nancy