#AtoZChallenge: I is for Ignorance

Day 9 of the A to Z Challenge is the letter “I”:

I is for Ignorance

ignorance

I thought the Thesaurus.com listing of synonyms for ignorance was so much more representative of what the word means to me than the simple definition:

benightedness, bewilderment, blindness, callowness, crudeness, darkness, denseness,disregard, dumbness, empty-headedness, fog, half-knowledge, illiteracy, incapacity,incomprehension, innocence, inscience, insensitivity, lack of education, naiveté, nescience, oblivion, obtuseness, philistinism, rawness, sciolism,shallowness, simplicity, unawareness, unconsciousness, uncouthness, unenlightenment,unfamiliarity, unscholarliness, vagueness

The Red Kimono centers around three characters:

• Sachiko Kimura is a nine-year old Japanese American who struggles with the chasm between what it means to be Japanese and what it means to be American.
  • Nobu Kimura is her seventeen-year old brother who only wants to be treated as and accepted for the American that he is.
  • Terrence Harris is Nobu’s African American friend who not only must deal with racism directed toward him, but racism he feels toward Japanese Americans when his father is killed at Pearl Harbor.

The story of each of these characters begins with ignorance. Through opening their hearts to experience “the other side,” two of these characters will remove the cloak of ignorance. One will not.

Different forms of ignorance still exist around us today. Whether we close our minds to differences in politics, religion, race, sexual orientation, whatever, we all experience it, whether we see it in others or whether it lives inside us. The only way around it is to communicate openly, honestly and respectfully to one another.

What concerns me is, those kinds of communications seem to happen less and less these days.

This entry was posted in Hate, Politics, Prejudice and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to #AtoZChallenge: I is for Ignorance

1. precari0us says:

Absolutely. Ignorance can be best tackled by communicating openly, honestly and respectfully to one another. Perfectly said.

-Your fellow A to Zer
    Visit my post at http://precari0us.wordpress.com/

Your thought of communicating these days is so true. I agree. Today, people hide behind an electronic keyboard from a hard to determine location and throw left hooks… knowing they can’t be hit by a right hook in return.

That’s exactly how I feel, Mustang.Koji. Although there have been many benefits to social media, I also think it has been damaging to us as communicators and therefore, as human beings.

3. Dee says:

Yes totally agree, communication is so very important and even more communicating correctly. 😀 Happy a to z 😀

4. Jen HaHA says:

I will have to check out your book! This sounds like a book that would have been featured in my American Ethnic Studies: Asian Studies classes had it been out 17 years ago :oD When I graduated from college, I had every intention to being the next great Filipino American writer. It would combine my two degrees: journalism and AES. Instead, I work in Finance. Go figure!

How sad is this? I hadn’t learned about Japanese internment camps until college! I grew up near two military bases and just ~15 miles from where a camp was in Western Washington. Says a lot about my school district growing up.

Check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

It’s never too late to become the next great Filipino American writer, Jen! I’m into my 50’s (though I refuse to say how far into my 50’s) 🙂 and The Red Kimono is my first novel. As for the “next great Japanese American writer?” Well, one can dream.

And I know what you mean about not knowing about the Japanese internment camps. Sadly, that era in our history was not covered much in our history classes. I’m surprised at the number of people who are unfamiliar with those events.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy The Red Kimono!